Issue 81-19/4 /12
Hello everyone! I hope you are all having a great week – with the rain I don’t think we’ll be in for a hosepipe ban but who knows!?! So what do I have for you today?
Want to continue receiving this newsletter?
Remember that you need to sign up for the newsletter as next month all the newsletters will come via the website. www.petapendlebury.co.uk Thanks. Apologies for those of you who have signed up and are now getting 2 copies – this will stop next month as this is the last one via my email address.
To Blog or not to Blog?
If you want to receive notification that there is a new blog or a new thought for the day then please follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/petapendlebury or facebook www.facebook.com/petapendlebury to get postings of when I have updated this page.
Kathryn Crabtree’s House of Colour Open Day
I can’t believe that the time has flown by and this Saturday (21st) is Kathryn’s Open Day. As usual it’s at St Margaret’s Church in Wrexham (opposite the Four Dogs, Acton area), 2-5pm. Small entrance fee but you get a cup of tea for that and there are always scrummy homemade cakes for a small donation to her chosen charity. There are also great stalls for shopping (I particularly liked the handbag one last year!) and a great presentation. I’ll be there helping out with the teas and coffees so maybe I’ll see you there?
Lot of health snippets for you…..
- Improve your skin – eat more fruit and veg! Particularly carrots, tomatoes and mangoes – the pigments make your skin look healthier – should take about 6 weeks to see a noticeable skin change.
- A natural compound in watermelons dilates blood vessels and reduces blood pressure – so get juicing!
- Make sure you get enough sleep – if you naturally need 7 hours get it. If you get 6 you’ll alter your eating habits and eat more – in the tests carried out they were surprised it was quite a lot more!
- Want to remember stuff? Sniff rosemary! (Oil or plant) Tests show it improves memory significantly. See, Shakespeare was right “There’s rosemary, that’s for remembrance” Hamlet
- Have teenagers with acne? Thyme tincture has been found to be more effective than benzoyl peroxide (the active ingredient in most anti-acne creams and washes). And a lot more natural too.
- Watercress suppresses breast cancer cell development in research study – it turns off a protein which then starves the growing tumour of its supply of blood and oxygen – another good reason to eat it!
- Pregnant? You may want to avoid non-aspirin NSAIDs (naproxen, ibuprofen, diclofenac & celecoxib) as there has been a link between these and miscarriage. And – acupuncture has been shown to reduce the need for drugs in labour and to reduce the use of instrumental deliveries – oouch!
- Tea tree oil has a great range of uses as it is anti-viral, anti-septic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic. All stuff you know I’m sure – did you know that it is also great at preventing post-operative shock? Neither did I!
- Fibromyalgia? Tests have shown that yoga reduces pain, increases mindfulness and alters cortisol levels – all great news for people with FM. (results after 8 weeks – 75 minute classes x2 weekly)
- Lavender inhaled before being given an injection or having a canula inserted reduces the pain felt research in Korea has found. That must have been such a relaxed study to be part of!
- Period pains? Reflexology and Ibuprofen were trialled against it other and reflexology won! Participants had 10 x 40 minute sessions during 2 consecutive cycles but said that the effects continued even after the trial had stopped. Might be worth trying if you are affected.
Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type
I’ve been meaning to get my blood type done for years – having never been in hospital I’ve never had it done! Well, I’ve just found out that I’m A- which was a huge relief as that one is supposed to be vegetarian. So I am starting to only eat the foods that are suitable for that blood type and I’ll let you know if I notice any changes in me. The hardest thing is going to be giving up my favourite cheeses! I’m going to have to develop a liking for goat’s and Feta – thankfully I already like Mozarella!
And finally – Thought for the day
Learn how to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want – Jim Rohn